Help wanted. Must like vegetables.
Lifeline Produce is an amazing place to work! Established in 1978 and located in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana, we farm on 80 acres and we have an exciting new position of Greenhouse Manager available for the 2022 season.
You will be part of a tight-knit crew, working cooperatively and having a great time as we move quickly in the fields with views of the Bitterroots. Our farm prioritizes soil health and we have been recognized as a leader in regenerative agriculture. As a mid-scale production farm, we provide fresh and flavorful local produce to well established grocery wholesale accounts, thriving farmers markets, food pantries, as well as retailers, delis, and restaurants across western Montana, and starting in 2020, we now operate a commercial kitchen for processing select vegetables.
Located 40 miles south of Missoula, we have 15+ acres of USDA certified organic vegetables, herbs, two hoophouses, a greenhouse, a bedding plant operation, and commercial kitchen, and we maintain approximately 20 hens, 12 ewes and 30+ beef cattle. We grow all of our livestock forage, and we produce our own biodiesel on-site to power all of our tractors and farm delivery vehicles, in addition to maintaining over 25 KW of solar panels to offset our power needs. We are two miles from the Bitterroot River for fishing and swimming, and we have a pond on the property for hot summer days, and the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness is at our back door.
We are also co-founders of the Montana Sustainable Growers Union and early members of the Western Montana Growers Cooperative, and we are very dedicated to training new farmers to be successful.
Nothing makes us more proud than seeing how our current workers have added to their responsibilities and skills while working here, and how many of our former farm workers have gone on to start and manage impressive farms of their own.
We’re looking for a talented, enthusiastic farmer to step into a role with great opportunities for leadership and rewarding work. The Greenhouse Manager will work with the Farm Manager (Drew) and farm owners (Steve and Luci) to ensure that we have healthy soils, thriving plants, happy customers, and an energized crew!
The Greenhouse Manager will be involved with many aspects of the operation including:
- Oversee seedling production for bedding plants and field crops
- Manage hoophouse production and harvest of basil and cucumbers
- Oversee daily management of propagation greenhouse
- Coordinate bedding plant production and distribution
- Assist with planting, weeding, irrigation, pest control, and other farm tasks.
- Focus will be on greenhouses and hoop houses during early season but ideal candidate will integrate with field crop production, field crew weeding, harvest, packing and washing operation, and commercial kitchen work during rest of season.
Applicants should plan to stay with us for at least two seasons, and hopefully longer, in order to learn our farm’s systems and be able to put them into practice, and work to improve them.
The ideal candidate:
- has at least two seasons of experience working on a farm, specifically greenhouse and hoop house management;
- is self-motivated to work quickly and efficiently, either alone or in a group, whether the task at hand is time sensitive or monotonous;
- highly organized and adept at creating systems for managing and tracking seeding calendars and schedules
- has experience leading others and providing constructive feedback, setting a quick pace, and teaching new skills to less experienced co-workers;
- is able to take on responsibility for a major area of the farm’s production independently and keep on task and on schedule;
- is positive, enthusiastic, and has the ability to see the big picture while paying close attention to detail;
- can reliably keep on top of record keeping related to your work;
- is able to work all day on their feet lifting heavy things whether it’s raining, sweltering or beautiful out;
- is able to lift 50 lbs.
This position is : hourly, $15-20/hr
Please e-mail the following:
- Cover letter including the following: What is the hardest work you’ve ever done? What motivates you to work quickly and efficiently? Why is Lifeline Produce a good fit for you?
- Contact information for two references
Open Until Filled, Apply Immediately